Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ode to GPS

I love my GPS. I'm convinced the divorce rate is falling because couples no longer argue on long and stressful trips about where to turn off the road. Let the GPS be wrong, not your spouse!

When the kids wail "How much LONGER???" I blame the GPS for putting them thru another 23 minutes of driving torture. I tell them, "But maybe I can get it down to 22." Suddenly the kids are cheering for me to outsmart the GPS and no longer whining.

At the same time, I find myself ignoring it quite often. GPS technology is not 100% reliable. If I'm travelling a familiar road that I KNOW is under construction or bound to be heavily trafficked at this time of day, I'll ignore the GPS instructions and laugh merrily as it says "Recalculating".

Last summer we were taking our kids to a "surprise destination". The kids were speculating on why we were driving amid cornfields in Iowa when suddenly, the GPS shouted "Turn Left here to go to Field of Dreams" and our surprise was ruined. It's never mentioned a destination by name before or ever since. My guess is that there really IS some artificial intelligence behind that logic, and it gets peeved with the way I use it shamelessly.

I'm convinced a bit of a devil rests in each GPS system. Makes me like 'em even better.

No comments: