Thursday, July 21, 2011

Letting Go

It's a summer full of regrets so far. I regret that I haven't had more time to post comments on my blog. (I'm finally understanding the attraction of brief Twitter postings -- much less pressure to write something deep and thoughtful!)

I regret mostly that my eldest is leaving for college and my family will never be the same. That sounds so dramatic, but it's true on some level. A child is leaving the nest. We'll have extra space in the car and less food on the table. We'll have tuition bills up the whazoo. And I'll worry constantly about that girl.

It's hard to let go, dammit.

When I left for college, I couldn't wait to fly the coop. You'd think that memory would make it easy for me to be gracious about my own daughter leaving. At the same time, we're talking about different people, a different era, and a different situation. Funny how I'm more nervous about my daughter heading out into the big world than I was when it was myself. Guess that's what makes me a mom.

Regardless of all my worries and poignant reminiscing, I AM letting go. Because it's time. Because I love her too much to ever hold her back. Guess that's what makes me a mom.

Good-bye, my daughter. Fly high and shine.

No comments: